Monday 2 August 2010

DONE!!!!

Today, I submitted my thesis.  That's me, empty-handed. 

I got very little sleep (like, two hours) because I couldn't stop my brain: what if I've not used someone obvious? what if I forgot something? what if it sucks? what if my formatting is all wrong? what if....?

Then I finally got up and ready, and headed in to Lynch's office.  She let me print out my 252 pages there, using university ink, since the uni had kicked me out of my own office.  I made sure my formatting was as good as I could get it, since uni uses Word 2007 and I don't, and then printed it off.  From there, I headed to the libarry--where I had to be let in and sign the book, since technically my student status expired in May--to get another copy made and turn them both in to the bindery.  The libarry guy was an idiot, and sold me copy cards that I couldn't even use (well, I could use them, but not to use the automatic feed to copy all my 252 pages. Turns out it charges you two copies for each page you don't do manually... what?! Seriously?!)  So after I did about 40 pages manually, because I couldn't stand to have wasted that £30 on copy cards (grrrrr!), I finally gave up and turned it all in to the bindery to finish copying and then bind up in the cheapest and quickest manner possible. 

After that frustration, I went back to collect Lynch and we went for a poddle--through the botanical gardens, around Seaton Park, and back around to uni in time to go pick up the two bound copies.  A little freaky, to hold those 'official' things in hand... and then to Registry, where we waited and waited in line and finally got to turn them in.  The lady was actually very nice, and was excited for me--which is funny, because usually the folks working there are like robots who don't give a darn about the people they are serving.  Lynch took photos, and wrote me a Thesis-submitting song, which she performed on the way back to her office, where we enjoyed Cockroach Clusters and Toffee Cappuccino coffee. 

I highly recommend having a photographer, singer-songwriter, companion walker, and party coordinator when you submit.  All in one person is even better.  Thanks, Lynch! 

Now it's just the wait for the viva...

3 comments:

tammiemg said...

=D

Barb said...

What an awesome day! (except for the library mishaps, of course)

Amie V said...

gosh, this feels like forever ago now... but it was great at the time. i highly recommend, when you both get to this point, to take someone along as photographer and party-maker. =D