Thursday 16 September 2010

Reflections

I spent a good bit of today at the cinema, trying to redeem yesterday's mishap.  First I saw The Last Exorcism, which went a long way to restoring my faith in so-bad-they're-fun horror films.  It was Blair Witch style, and creepy enough-- but totally over the top, which is what I love.  So I enjoyed it.  But I wouldn't recommend it to most people.  I have odd taste in films. 

While I was waiting for my next film, which was pretty much back-to-back (about twenty minutes in between), I noticed the carpet reflected in the pole.  It looked like confetti.  I think the carpet is cool for a cinema, anyway.  Cheesy, but I like cheese.  So I tried to capture the effect.  It kind of worked.

The film I saw next was Dinner for Schmucks, and I wasn't expecting much because so many of the reviews I'd read about it didn't like it.  It's stupid, they said.  You'd be a schmuck to pay for this, they said.  Way below the usual standard from Rudd and Carrell, they said.  So I was prepared to just be so-so'd.

I didn't expect to love it.  But I did.  I really loved it, and I read the reviews in a completely different light now.  People are jerks, and that's that. 

Which is kind of the point of the film.  There are jerks, and there are idiots, and there are the 'rest of us' somewhere in the middle.  If you haven't seen it, I don't want to give too much away... and I highly recommend it.  It had some hilarious moments, some painfully awkward moments, some very touching moments.  I saw myself in it, and was convicted.  If you have seen it, or if you do see it, I would love to talk with you about it.  It's a remake of a French film from 1989, I think, and now I want to see that.  People complained that the original was a satire, and that this one wasn't funny enough.  But they missed the point completely, in my opinion, and it makes me really sad for our Western culture.  And sad to be a part of it-- I want even more now to be a part of transforming it, or at least transforming the people in it. 

Watch it.  Let me know what you think.  It's my second favourite film of the year, I think. 

No comments: