Saturday 23 October 2010

Scott's View

We spent all of today driving around in the Borders, seeing the four famous abbeys-- Melrose, Dryburgh, Jedburgh, and Kelso.  They were amazing.  I wouldn't mind being a nun if I had a setting like those.  Wow. 

As we were driving between the two, we saw a sign for 'Wallace Statue' and 'Scott's View'.  We weren't sure what either of them were, but we needed a pretty picnic spot, so we struck off to find them.  They were only a mile or so off our route (or so they claimed), but the statue turned out to be a thirty minute walk round-trip once you got to the carpark.  I didn't want to risk missing any of the abbeys, so we opted to drive a further half mile to explore the View.  It was well worth it, I think:

I'm guessing it must be Sir Walter Scott who gives it the name, as we saw his grave at the abbey just before we stopped here (Dryburgh).  I read Rob Roy earlier this year, and had just finished Ivanhoe, so I was quite inspired by the view and the grave (both were unexpected).  I love the Borders, and am so glad Paige is based in Stirling so things like this aren't so prohibitive to get to (from Aberdeen it would not be a day trip, that's for sure!)

2 comments:

Barb said...

Definitely an amazing view! I miss those sights.

Amie V said...

i always miss you when i'm seeing these sights. so that's pretty much every day in scotland, to one degree or another. ;)